Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Review of Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Review of Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

I first became interested in this book due to the simply awesome title! I began reading a sample and I feel in love with the writing style and language. I was hooked. It was a fast read, I read this book in about 2 days. The Forest of Hands and teeth is very striking and visual, and the author paints a good portrait of how people would feel growing up in a world filled with imprisoning, “safety,” and threats and constant fear, of basically having no hope and no real choice or freedom. I think the author's creation of the Sisterhood was interested and I wished to see a bit more of it mentioned in the book. In fact I feel that there is about a hundred pages missing from the book. I think the author should have explored the secrets of the Sisterhood more, and that there should have been a slow, steady, build up of tension before the Unconsecrated returned. I feel that the story ended abruptly and left with too many unanswered questions, and left me wanting more. I wonder if some of these questions will be explored and answered in the next few books in the series. I might have to read them as well. I also feel that the author did a good job with character development, and how the crisis in the book changed the people though she could have explored it a bit more and went a bit deeper. The Heroine of the book, Mary seems like mostly a stagnant character, I wish her character wasn't so one sided.

No comments:

Post a Comment